Friday, February 6, 2009

Stuff....




I haven't posted a written blog in....well, forever. Life is just very full these days. I had the dreaded and wretched (thanks for reminding me how much I love that word, Tena!) insomnia over the holidays....it is what it is. What a different person I feel like when I do sleep!

So, I'll just do a quick update on things.

Steve: He is my knight in shining armour (or rather jammie bottoms and a T-shirt.) Because of my sleep challenges, he takes over a majority of the night parenting...I do my share, but mostly it is him. It must be his relaxing personality or something...he can get both kids to sleep in no time. Feb. 15 will be 15 years since our first date! He was/is so fun to talk to!

Olivia: Still doing an incredible job at swimming. She is really learning her numbers and starting to sound them out. She makes me laugh so hard I cry...she has the best sense of humor and loves to make people laugh. The other night I was tucking her in bed and we were reading Big Momma Makes the World by Phyllis Root and illustrated by Helen Oxenbury.
Olivia's favorite part of the book is the cute baby "buns" throughout the book (Oxenbury's children are ADORABLE!) So when I said the name of the book, she adds "with her sidekick Baby Buns!" Too funny!! Since July, she has earned 4 toys that she desperately wanted...Buzz, Woody, Jessie and Bullseye from Toy Story. I set up a reward system and she would earn smiley faces for chores, good behavior, etc... Now we'll have to find some other motivation. She has the biggest heart and amazes me with her compassion.

Elora: GROWING and fun and happy and trying and exhausting and wonderful and exasperating....you get the picture. She got 6 teeth from month 9-11...then an 8 month hiatus....now at 17th months, I think we have a whole herd coming in! The last week has been especially challenging for she seems to feel her crib is similar to a dip in hot acid. But, as a wonderful parallel to her raging tantrums...she is THE most affectionate child I have EVER encountered!! She jabbers up a storm and has about 10 distinguishable words. She would prefer to be naked 24/7 and takes off running as she sees any clothing approaching UNLESS she wishes to dress herself which she can not yet do and for which she refuses ANY assistance!

Gabby: She is doing fabulous in school...all As and Bs last semester and so far this semester all As. She is an incredible writer, and she and Olivia imagine they are all kinds of animals. She has also started teaching Olivia to add! She is playing basketball and the clarinet in school. She spends a few weekends a month at her mom's and has a few sleep overs coming up this month. Hmmm....I wonder how cranky she'll be the next day???

Buddy (cat) and Scamper (dog) are not friends, but they are getting along....thankfully. I didn't realize dog hair was WORSE than cat hair, though!!

Me: Well, I am great. There are times that I vary the degree of that greatness....but great none-the-less. I'm thinking about all the things I haven't done and need to do and want to do and could do and should do as I write this...so I just have to take a deep breath know there is time for everything. In an effort to balance my life and keep my "cup overflowing" so to speak....I take a few classes or seminars or tackle new things that I find interesting. I am currently taking a Taiko (Japaneses Drumming) class with a friend. It is physical and challenging and nice to just go beat on something for an hour!!

Here's a video of a performance from previous classes....I think that is my instructor on the left. The song we are learning is not this advanced...but isn't it cool!!??!! I have always found this drumming fascinating!





Well my "knight" just got the babe down for a nap and Olivia is requesting a book....so I'm off!

1 comment: