Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Announcing: Baby Owl Chicks!!!

Yeah, that's right. We are the proud neighbors of some Barred Owlets. We have been seeing the parents fly back and forth through our little canopy of trees and enjoyed their rounds of "who cooks for you, who cooks for you all" echoing around the house. There has been alot of dueling between the crows and the owls of late. We figured there were probably owlets and today as I was typing at the computer....I saw a little head pop up and then another. SO EXCITING!!! I think this clutch is just the two little ones...the larger one looks as if it's ready to venture out, but I'm learning right along with Olivia about the owls. Our "Owls of North America" book from the Library says that Barred owls fledge at 4-5 weeks old and start flying around 10 weeks old, but are not completely independent of their parents until 4-5 months old. So hopefully, we can continue to get some footage! One of the parents is up there taking care of them right now as I type!

The videos below are a little shaky...I didn't have a tripod and had to zoom to get the picture, so even if I breathed it moved. The one owlet is so cute when it ducks down in the tree...just like a babe, if it can't see you then it must be hid, right!? You can see the other little one in there once in a while...I think they had just gotten some breakfast a little while before I got the video this am. In the last video, you can see the hole in the tree below the parent owl. My friend Kat came over and got some still shots with her camera. You can see those here.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I am calling you Mother Earth from now on! You are so...deep and surprising and refreshing. I am privileged to know you and just sort of enjoy the love that seems to exude from you. You are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great footage! I love your blog . . . and you! God bless. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your owls. We have just adopted three baby rabbits that survived the perils of lawn mowing. I will set them back into the wild today.
    Wish them luck.
    Janine
    check out ours. johnjanineandkane@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are also enjoying nature at our house. We have adopted for a short time, three baby rabbits that were almost destroyed by our lawn mower. Kane insisted on saving them and stood in front of the nest until his father stopped the mower. So cute. They to are returning to the wild today. Wish them luck.
    Janine

    ReplyDelete