Analysis -- I recently had one of my "go to for honesty friends" express how much I over analyze things. I asked some questions about myself wanting a different and honest perspective and the response was "I think you overdo the analysis some times." I so appreciate how this person can be a mirror for me...not always easy to take...but I asked for it. So, I kind of mentally scoffed "duh!" of course I over analyze things. Then I also mentally got on my high horse with a running commentary of 'why are we here but to examine ourselves' etc... Well... then I had a perfect example present itself of where I needed to just accept what is for what is instead of seeking some hidden meaning behind this...I shared this with my friend to give them the kudos they deserve...I also got an "I told you so" -- but I expected it.
Imperfection -- Now, I don't know if it's a unique thing to those with September birthdays...I have examples to support this. But, I tend to be a perfectionist....not the "Monica-esque" perfectionist, but the mental perfection that constantly berates because I never quite measure up to my internal ideal. So I'm a perfectionist that lacks perfection and then makes myself feel bad about it! So, I am aware of this about myself...but it's not easy to let go of this tendency. So...my wonderful father, who retired in June, has been coming over a few times a week to let me get a little walk in. On one of these walks something amazing caught my eye....see picture.

My guess is that this leaf is "flawed" because it didn't receive enough sunlight or a low amount of chlorophyll or something. But the way the one side curves to almost protect the "weaker" side...is amazing. And the two colors, so different in this one leaf....Truly beautiful. I decided to bring it home and show Olivia. Then I thought...."Why can't I see the physical or emotional flaws in myself (and others) as THIS beautiful!?!"
Yesterday I had an unusual moment of being in my home alone...I stood there not knowing what to do with myself. I could work...there is always work to do. But I ended up going into the back yard, sitting on the swing, and did....nothing. It only lasted about 2 minutes....but it was full and complete. So in that moment....I got it. I could hear "Be still and know that I am God" sung and played by Diane reverberating through my brain. There IS always a moment of peace...it's right here...it's always with me....it's that moment somewhere in between the breathing out and the breathing in. And it's always available to me here on this journey...not some place to "get" but some place to REMEMBER.
So Analysis IS one of my Flaws and there are times that it serves me well and there are times it doesn't serve me well...but it's in that Silent moment between breaths that I must Remember the beauty that is God...the beauty that is Me.

Well, that's kind of beautiful!
ReplyDelete'Go to for honesty friends.' Hate them / love them more than I can say.
Over-analyzing. Carol is the master of this. I'm learning to let things just be what they are (oh, I'm an old lady - hehe).
Imperfection. Another product of age. My perfectionism has found its focus. Rather than having to control everything around me, I've had to learn to let some things go (yup, my house is one of those things) and focus on things that actually impact others and can help them. Some difficult lessons have brought me to this point and I hate to admit I'm still learning.
Deserving time alone. This is something I don't deal with because I don't have children. But, I find a lot of moms really face this thing down! And generally become quite selfish because they don't get what they think they deserve. You're facing this really well.
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10. One of very few verses that I know where to look for it. Because even in the quiet of my life, I don't do stillness well.
Love you...
Nice. I too have always had a tendency to analyze things to death, (drives hubby crazy) but lately I'm figuring out that the less I do it, the happier and more 'in the moment' I become.
ReplyDeleteHere's to blissful 'me time' wherever we find it...
Love you!
You so need to rent a movie Joyce and I watched last week, 'Into Great Silence'. It is a documentary about monks. The quote you had about being open and quiet, waiting in silence, not even expecting anything is very much a lesson I took from the movie. It is such a quiet movie. At one point a monk dies, he waited his whole life for God, in a vow of silence. Did he ever hear anything? Did he have a need to hear anything? He sacrificed everything that most of us hold dear: freedom, marriage, friends, income, vacations. Day after day, winter after fall, decades after years he waited in case he was called. Did he find satisfaction in his small garden, his midnight prayers, his unanswered silence? At the end of his life did any questions remain?
ReplyDelete