Westerns and Romances:
I see it every time I work and I always find it interesting. An old couple comes in the Library and she goes to the paperback romances and he goes to the paperback westerns. Luckily, we have them shelved on lovely round racks right next to each other. It's sweet yet odd....is she reading the romances because she lacks Romance in her life. Does he read the westerns because he misses Adventure? Granted, I am still getting over a bit of a judgement about these types of books...the writing is simple and let's face it...it's certainly not literature. But, I think the simplistic escape can be beneficial. However, I don't think there can be a greater emasculation than sending your husband in to check-out 20-30 romances, though. Give the guy a break and hand him back his dignity; go get the books yourself.
Small kid on a long leash:
I can speak of this because I have small children. The Library is a PUBLIC building. I know it's a beautiful building. I know it seems safe. The Library is no different than the mall, the post office, the street corner. The employees are not here to make sure your child is safe. Yet daily, I see little ones -- new walkers -- out of their parent/guardians eye sight. And it's people that I know, who are responsible and good parents. Yet we had an 18 month out the door and mom didn't know. We had a 3 year old missing (she was sitting in a corner reading) and her mother couldn't find her. We have 4,5,6 year olds left on on their own because a parent is on a different level looking for books or sitting on the computer. It's sad and stressful and the parent's still don't get that it's their responsibility to watch their child.
6 years ago

In my mind, I see the old man who still envisions himself as that rugged cowboy. And with her, I see the woman who, despite the droops and wrinkles, still feels like that flushed maiden with the torn peasant blouse. They lie next to each other, comfortable with the years, comfortable with no words. But he's still her cowboy, swooping her up onto his horse and riding off into the sunset.
ReplyDeleteWow, I live in a pretty world. No wonder I'm still single! ;)